Bhawal National Park in Gazipur was established in 1982, under the Wildlife Act of 1974 to preserve important habitats and create opportunities for recreation, education and research. . It is located in Gazipur, Dhaka Division of Bangladesh, approximately 40-45 km north of Dhaka city, only 20 km drive from Gazipur and 20 km from Kapasia. Bhawal National Park is situated beside Dhaka-Mymensingh High way at Gazipur district. It is approximately 45 km away from zero point of Dhaka cities. The core area of the park covers 940 hectares but extends to 5,022 ha of surrounding forest. Its purpose is to protect important habitats as well as to provide opportunities for recreation. Most of this area was covered by forests fifty years ago and the dominant species was Sal (Shorea robusta). Illegal deforestation has left only 600 km of the forest and new trees and woodlands have been planted.
Anyone can go from Mohakhali bus stands by public buses which go to Mymensingh, Sreepur or Kapasia. One can go there by hiring a Taxi-cab or a rental car. It takes about one and half hour to reach there from Mohakhali. There are many Picnic spot here. Also 13 Cottage & 6 Rest House are here. The park has 220 plant species, including 43 different tree species, 19 shrubs, 3 palms, 27 grasses, 24 vines, and 104 herbs. The wildlife in the park includes 13 mammals, 9 reptiles, 5 birds and 5 amphibians. In addition the Forest Department has recently introduced peacocks, deers, pythons, and cat fish. . Now Bhawal national park is very popular for picnic in the winter season. Forest department has been managing this park since long. Inside the park, there is different type of picnic corners established by Forest Department with different rate and by the way government of Bangladesh is getting revenues from that park. This park is open for all. Outside the park, now private sectors have developed different type of picnic spots. For recreation this spots are also good but these are comparatively not so costly.
National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries Reserves in Bangladesh, Protected areas in Bangladesh cover some 2% of the country's total area or 243 677 ha. There are eight national parks in Bangladesh as well as seven wildlife sanctuaries, five conservation sites and one game reserve. Bangladesh's National Parks can be defined as relatively large areas of natural beauty where the flora and fauna are protected and preserved for the public to enjoy and gain education. Wildlife sanctuaries are designated areas where wildlife and natural resources are protected and for the provision of undisturbed breeding. A game reserve is defined by the government as a place that protects wildlife as well as serves to increase the numbers of various species. The prominent form of flora is coppice sal forest. Himchari National Park was founded in 1980 at Cox's Bazar. Semi-evergreen as well as deciduous forest dominate the area. Ramsagar National Park, developed in Dinajpur in 1974 encompasses man-made forest of ornamental and fruit trees.
Below is a list of Bangladesh's National Parks, wildlife sanctuaries, game reserve and other conservation areas.
1. Bhawal National Park – Gazipur
2. Himchari National Park – Cox' Bazar
3. Kaptai National Park – Chittagong Hill Tracts
4. Lawachara National Park – Moulavibazar
5. Medha Kassapia National Park – Cox's Bazar
6. Modhupur National Park – Tangail/Mymensingh
7. Nijhum Dweep National Park – Noakhali
8. Ramsagar National Park – Dinajpur
9. Satchari National Park – Hobigonj
10. Char Kukri-Mukri Wildlife Sanctuary – Bhola
11. Chunati Wildlife Sanctuary – Chittagong
12. Pablakhali Wildlife Sanctuary – Chittagong Hill Tracts
13. Rema-Kelenga Wildlife Sanctuary – Hobigonj
14. Sundarban (East) Wildlife Sanctuary – Bagerhat
15. Sundarban (West) Wildlife Sanctuary – Satkhira
16. Sundarban (South) Wildlife Sanctuary – Khulna
17. Teknaf Game Reserve – Cox's Bazar
18. Baldha Garden - Dhaka
19. Dulahazara Safari Parks – Cox's Bazar
20. Madhabkunda Eco-Park – Moulavibazar
21. National Botanical Garden – Dhaka
22. Sitakunda Botanical Garden and Eco-park – Chittagong
Posted By: ABC Task